I’ve been on vacation in Canada with my two boys all week. It’s been a wonderful vacation and I couldn’t help but notice all the diverse families we’ve come across in our travels- all colors, ethnicities, religions, speaking different languages, etc. And guess what? They were all smiling and enjoying the sights of Niagara Falls just as we were. As it should be.
I hope you will take a few moments to scroll through this week’s post, pick a few articles and really read them. There is a lot of food for thought in this week 30. I may be on vacation, but I continue to curate this weekly roundup because we cannot turn a blind eye to the blatant hatred that is brewing in our country.
Here’s my weekly roundup of articles, food for thought, ways to take action, ongoing resources and lighter stuff to keep sane. You can take a look back at week 1, week 2, week 3, week 4, week 5, week 6, week 7, week 8, week 9, week 10, week 11, week 12, week 13, week 14, week 15, week 16, week 17 , week 18, week 19, week 20, week 21, week 22, week 23, week 24, week 25, week 26, week 27, week 28 and week 29.
As per usual, I hope you will take the time to read and understand what’s going on and then take some action that goes beyond sharing a Facebook post or sending an email. If you have something to add, please do so via a comment.
I will continue to do this for as long as necessary. We can’t look away. Neither can the men and women we elect to represent us.
- Trump to Guam Governor: North Korea Threats Will Boost Tourism ‘Tenfold’ (New York Times, August 12, 2017)
- Trump Is Criticized for Not Calling Out White Supremacists (New York Times, August 12, 2017)
- Hatch: My brother didn’t die fighting Hitler for Nazis to go unchallenged today (The Hill, August 12, 2017)
- STATEMENT BY SENATOR JOHN McCAIN ON WHITE SUPREMACIST ATTACK IN CHARLOTTESVILLE (John McCain, August 12, 2017)
- “Why we voted for Donald Trump”: David Duke explains the white supremacist Charlottesville protests (Vox, August 12, 2017)
- People are identifying the Charlottesville Nazis and getting them fired (Revere Press, August 13, 2017)
- White Protesters—Yes, White People—Take Down a Confederate Monument in Durham, NC (The Root, August 14, 2017)
- Internet Makes White Supremacists Regret Participating In Charlottesville Violence (Second Nexus, August 14, 2017)
- Justice demands 1.3M IP addresses related to Trump resistance site (The Hill, August 14, 2017)
- Intel CEO Becomes Third Chief to Quit Trump Council After Riots (Bloomberg, August 14, 2017)
- Robert E. Lee opposed Confederate monuments (PBS, August 15, 2017)
- Read the transcript of Donald Trump’s jaw-dropping press conference (CNBC, August 15, 2017)
- Yes, What About the “Alt-Left”? (Slate, August 16, 2017)
- Obama tolerance tweet becomes most liked (BBC, August 16, 2017)
- Citing ‘safety and security,’ Pugh has Baltimore Confederate monuments taken down (Baltimore Sun, August 16, 2017)
- Trump’s business advisory council disbands (The Hill, August 16, 2017)
- The Entire US Military Has Now Openly Broken With Trump And Denounced Racism (Politicus USA, August 16, 2017)
Food for Thought
- Yes, This is Racism (John Pavlovitz, August 12, 2017)
- Trump babbles in the face of tragedy (Washington Post, August 12, 2017)
- Charlottesville Is the America That Donald Trump Promised (GQ, August 12, 2017)
- They Will Not Replace Us (Slate, August 13, 2017)
- Donald Trump’s despicable words (Washington Post, August 14, 2017)
- This Vice News Documentary from Charlottesville Is Horrifying (Esquire, August 15, 2017)
- Psychologists surveyed hundreds of alt-right supporters. The results are unsettling. (Vox, August 16, 2017)
- How To Argue That The Charlottesville Violence Is Absolutely Unacceptable (Bustle, August 12, 2017)
- Ten Ways to Fight Hate: A Community Response Guide (Southern Poverty Law Center, August 14, 2017)
- Tell Amazon to drop Breitbart! (Sierra Club)
- REPORT LGBT/HIV DISCRIMINATION (ACLU)
- Attend Resistance School
- Facebook Town Hall Feature Lets Users Call and Email Elected Officials (Teen Vogue, Mar. 27, 2017)
- Join SocialStandsWithPP to ensure that women have access to health care services.
- How to find town hall meetings (CNN, Feb. 10, 2017)
- Join People Power
- Join the United State of Women
- Make 5 Calls
- Take action on CREDO
- Pay attention to Indivisible’s Action Calendar
- Run for office:
- Dan Rather’s Facebook page
- What The Fuck Just Happened Today?
- Trump Human Rights Tracker
- ACLU Action Page
- New and Guts
- Trump archive
Now stop, take a few breaths and enjoy these last (lighter) articles and videos.
- Man in Hostage Video Forced to Recite Words Not His Own (New Yorker, August 14, 2017)