Week three of #45 and we’ve hit fake massacres, confirmed an education secretary with no public education experience and attempted to silence the future president of the United States (yes, I went there).
Here’s my weekly roundup of articles, food for thought, ways to take action, ongoing resources and lighter stuff to keep sane. Like the previous weeks, it is by no means comprehensive, but it covers quite a bit.
Again, I hope you will take the time to read and understand what’s going on and then take some action that goes beyond sharing a Facebook post or sending an email. If you have something to add, please do so via a comment.
She was warned.
She was given an explanation.
Nevertheless, she persisted.
I will continue to do this for as long as necessary. We can’t look away.
- ‘This was the worst call by far’: Trump badgered, bragged and abruptly ended phone call with Australian leader (Washington Post, Feb. 2, 2017)
- Evangelical leader Jerry Falwell Jr. to lead education task force for Trump (CNN, Feb. 2, 2017)
- Here’s How Much Betsy DeVos And Her Family Paid To Back GOP Senators Who Will Support Her (Huffington Post, Feb. 2, 2017)
- ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER TO PRESIDENT TRUMP: LET’S SWITCH JOBS (Newsweek, Feb. 2, 2017)
- Kellyanne Conway and the Bowling Green Massacre That Wasn’t (The Atlantic, Feb. 3, 2017)
- The Pope Just Threw Shade At Trump In The Classiest Way Possible (Huffington Post, Feb. 3, 2017)
- #DressLikeAWoman: Women React in Style to Reports of Trump’s Dress Code for Female Staff (Global Citizen, Feb. 3, 2017)
- 15 companies that took bold stands against Trump’s immigration ban. (Upworthy, Feb. 3, 2017)
- Bush-appointed judge halts Trump travel ban nationwide (The Hill, Feb. 3, 2017)
- MoMA Protests Trump Entry Ban by Rehanging Work by Artists from Muslim Nations (New York Times, Feb. 3, 2017)
- Trump Has 2 Events This Weekend — And Both Benefit His Businesses (Huffington Post, Feb. 3, 2017)
- Swedish Politicians Troll Trump Administration While Signing Climate Change Law (Huffington Post, Feb. 3, 2017)
- Yes, All This Happened. Trump’s First 2 Weeks As President (NPR, Feb. 4, 2017)
- Why Judge Robart Blocked the Muslim Ban (Slate, Feb. 4, 2017)
- If You Think Lady Gaga’s Super Bowl Performance Wasn’t Political, You Missed the Point (Teen Vogue, Feb. 5, 2017)
- Apparently Trump Wasn’t ‘Fully Briefed’ on the Order Giving Bannon an NSC Seat (Vice, Feb. 6. 2017)
- Republicans vote to rebuke Elizabeth Warren, saying she impugned Sessions’s character (Washington Post, Feb. 8, 2017)
- Betsy DeVos Confirmed As Education Secretary (NPR, Feb. 7, 2017)
- One by one, black New England Patriots players are refusing to visit Donald Trump’s White House (Mic, Feb. 7, 2017)
- Leaks Suggest Trump’s Own Team Is Alarmed By His Conduct (Huffington Post, Feb. 7, 2017)
- #ShePersisted Becomes New Battle Cry After Senate Silences Elizabeth Warren (Huffington Post, Feb. 8, 2017)
- Shutting Down Speech by Elizabeth Warren, G.O.P. Amplifies Her Message (New York Times, Feb. 8, 2017)
- Women Will Read Coretta Scott King Letter Outside Mitch McConnell’s House Tonight (dcist, Feb. 8, 2017)
- Company to Resume Work to Finish Dakota Access Pipeline (ABC News, Feb. 8, 2017)
- Court Refuses to Reinstate Travel Ban, Dealing Trump Another Legal Loss (New York Times, Feb. 9, 2017)
Food for Thought
- The true story of how Teen Vogue got mad, got woke, and began terrifying men like Donald Trump (Quartz, Dec. 19, 2017)
- Things Can Only Get Worse (New York Times, Jan. 23, 2017)
- White People Need to Be Better (GQ, Jan. 30, 2017)
- I’m sorry I looked away. (The greatest adventure, Feb. 1, 2017)
- I Am a Priest, and This is Why I’m Pro-Choice (Teen Vogue, Feb. 1, 2017)
- Progressive activism takes its toll on congressional Republicans (MSNBC, Feb. 2, 2017)
- It Seems to Me: What young women may not know (Leader-Telegram, Feb. 5, 2017
- The complete list of all 42 false things Donald Trump has said as president (The Star, updated Feb. 6, 2017)
- What Effective Protest Could Look Like (The Atlantic, Feb. 6, 2017)
- Legal Scholars: Why Congress Should Impeach Donald Trump (Time, Feb. 6, 2017)
- Beware Trump’s Reichstag fire (The Week, Feb. 7, 2017)
- Elizabeth Warren Was Told to Be Quiet. Women Can Relate. (New York Times, Feb. 8, 2017)
- 25 women who were warned, given an explanation, but nevertheless persisted. (Upworthy, Feb. 8, 2017)
- Wise advice from the Be A King Facebook page
- Take action on CREDO
- Pay attention to Indivisible’s Action Calendar
- Betsy DeVos is our education secretary. Here’s what to do next. (Upworthy, Feb. 7, 2017)
- Run for office:
- Inspired by Senator Mitch McConnell’s remarks to Senator Elizabeth Warren, feel free to download the image below and use it as your cover photo to show you will persist:
Now stop, take a few breaths and enjoy these last fun articles and videos.
- Europe is trolling the hell out of Trump one hilarious video at a time (Mashable, Feb. 3, 2017)
- Super Bowl LI Ads Trolled Donald Trump All Night (Huffington Post, Feb. 5, 2017)
- World’s Saddest Trump Rally Draws Just 8 Supporters (Huffington Post, Feb. 6, 2017)
- People Are Tweeting That Barack Obama Is Basically America’s Ex-Boyfriend (Buzzfeed, Feb. 7, 2017)
- 10+ Times J. K. Rowling Brutally Destroyed Internet Trolls (boredpanda)
- Why Trump is Great (Seriously. Click on it.)
And if you haven’t seen SNL’s skit with Melissa McCarthy as Sean Spicer, do yourself a favor and watch it now.