I’ve never been one to make resolutions when ringing in the new year. Last year, I blogged about 5 simple goals (not resolutions) for 2012. I thought I made things a bit too complicated in 2011, so I tried to edit myself and focus on 5 simple, straightforward and attainable goals.
My 5 goals were fine, but I realize that I never did look back at them throughout the year. They were in my brain, for sure, but I always have some sort of goal in my brain. That’s just how I am. I would have worked on these goals whether I wrote them down or not.
So this year, instead of writing down all my goals for my blog, business and life, I’m going to focus on one big huge goal. A goal that I’ve had since I can remember but haven’t made overly public. (And, no, it’s not a resolution. I hate resolutions!)
Before I get into my one huge goal for 2013, here’s how I did with my 2012 goals:
- Re-design this website Done! I kind of cheated with this one since the re-design was in process when I wrote my post. Take a look at what it used to look like. Yikes.
- Start publishing a regular newsletter Took a while, but I finally started a monthly newsletter in October. I include a writing tip, a simple way to give back and the best of the blog from the previous month. If you haven’t signed up, you should. You’ll get a free 2013 Writing Prompts and Editorial Calendar if you do.
- Contribute regularly to other publications While I still would like to find a couple other publications to contribute to, I realize that I just didn’t have enough time to devote to this goal. I was busy with other work in 2012. And, frankly, I just wasn’t sure where else I wanted to write. There may be a few opportunities out there for me. We shall see. I’m not forcing anything. (Side note: If you would like for me to contribute to your blog and/or publication and are willing to compensate me for it, drop me a line.)
- Attend and participate in BlogHer ’12 Went. Participated. Spoke. Looking forward to BlogHer ’13. (Also looking for a roomie, if you are going to Chicago in 2013.)
- Pursue speaking opportunities While I didn’t actually pursue too many speaking opportunities due to the whole time thing and other priorities, a few did come my way. There was BlogHer ’12 in NYC and the New England School of Addiction and Prevention Studies in Maine. I also traveled to Boston for a private social media training / presentation. Not too bad for very little effort on my part, I suppose.
So, what’s my big goal for 2013?
Write a book!
There. I said it. I want to write a book. And, more specifically, I’d like to write it this year.
I’m working on a proposal, and it’s coming along. I need to push myself to get it further. I mean really push myself. Any encouragement you could give me along the way would be appreciated.
As for my other small goals, I’ll blog about them as I see fit. Sometimes, reading about other people’s goals is kind of boring. I’d rather entertain and/or inspire you.
So, are you making goals or resolutions for yourself in 2013? What are they?