I’m not one that relaxes easily. I always have a ton of things going on in my life, and I have always been like that. I thrive in a certain amount of chaos. I think I get bored too easily.
Every now and then I have to stop and remind myself not to take life so seriously. Or to just slow down.
Luckily my kids are constant reminders of how incredibly wonderful and exciting life can be, even when things aren’t going your way.
Next time life seems to be overwhelming, try doing the following:
- Throw your arms up in the air and yell “wheeeeeeee” while going down a hill in the car.
- Run around in circles until you fall. Get up and try to walk. Repeat over and over.
- Play peek-a-boo with a perfect stranger.
- Say “I don’t waaaaannnnna” when you don’t agree with someone.
- Respond to every question or statement with the question “Why?”
- Pick dandelions and act like they are the most beautiful flowers in the world.
- Walk around on all fours and tell everyone you are a dinosaur. (Alternately, throw on an old bridesmaid dress and tiara and tell everyone you are a princess.)
- Fall on the floor in a dramatic fashion to show your utter disgust with a situation.
- Pull a chair across the room, stand on it and watch a fish for ten minutes without moving.
- Play with your food.
- Plan your day around a nap.
- Request cookies for breakfast.
- Put your jacket on upside down and show everyone.
- Loudly declare things like “That man is wearing a green shirt!” as you walk down the street.
- Have an impromptu phone conversation on a banana.
- Make up your own language.
- Dance and sing whenever and wherever you are. Loudly.
- Jump in puddles. No. Wade in them.
- Ride the dog.
Life gets overwhelming sometimes. But life’s too short not to live like a kid again every now and then.
Take a few cues from children around you. They know how to appreciate life.
Photo Credit: Dreamstime