Every two minutes another mother dies in childbirth.
When I saw that stat on Maternity Worldwide’s website, I was a bit surprised. That’s a lot of children being born without a mother.
London-based Maternity Worldwide works to ensure safe births and increased maternal health in developing countries.
As the headline on the home page of their website states “no woman should die giving birth.”
Part of the problem is the lack of access to maternal health care. This is where Maternity Worldwide steps in. They:
- Provide communities with information on maternal health and family planning
- Empower women by providing opportunities for them to set up their own businesses
- Improve access to health centers and hospitals
- Train local midwives and doctors to enable them to provide safe births
- Where necessary, they provide the equipment and resources needed so hospitals and health centres can enable women to give birth safely
You can find out more about the their projects on the website.
So, why am I telling you all of this? Because there’s an easy way for you to help out.
And, if you’re like me and haven’t finished your Christmas shopping yet, you can also purchase a really impactful gift.
You can actually save a life this Christmas by sponsoring a safe birth for $24 and an emergency caesarean for $81.
A Safe Birth Certificate can be personalised with your own message and either sent directly to the gift recipient or to you.
And while the amounts on the website are in British pounds, those amounts will change to dollars once you get to the checkout. Save a life this Christmas.
Now, that’s a gift that gives back.
I wrote this post as part of the Global Team of 200, a highly specialized group of Mom Bloggers for Social Good members who focus on maternal health, children, hunger, and women and girls.