“Simple Giving takes the whole concept of giving to another level entirely. It’s refreshing, fun, and practical. And a most exhilarating new way to think about the impact of charity.”
—Christiane Northrup, M.D., New York Times-bestselling author of Goddesses Never Age; Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom; and The Wisdom of Menopause
“Every so often, a book comes along that makes you say, ‘Yes!’ Simple Giving does that. At some level, we all want to give. But how to do it effectively is often the challenge. Jennifer tells us that and much, much more. Simple Giving is a must-read (and a definite ‘must act-upon.’) A huge contribution to a much better world.”
—Paul Dunn, cofounder and chairman of B1G1 (Buy 1 Give 1)
From a Tarcher / Penguin (now TarcherPerigree) press release:
A Gallup World Poll survey between 2006 and 2008 found that those who donated to charity in the past month had higher life satisfaction, whether or not they lived in a rich or poor country. We all know we should be more philanthropic – volunteer, give to charity, fundraise for a good cause or someone in need – but oftentimes we think we have to give a lot of time or significant amounts of money in order to make a difference. In fact, there are very simple ways to incorporate giving into our personal and professional lives.
In SIMPLE GIVING: Easy Ways to Give Every Day (Tarcher Paperback; On Sale October 27, 2015; ISBN-13: 978-0-399-17245-8), Jennifer Iacovelli explores the many ways that we can give, asserting that we first need to rethink the concept of giving back. The impact we want to make will be as diverse as our interests, talents, personalities, and backgrounds. Some of the key topics and ideas she discusses include:
- The psychology and health benefits of giving: how giving improves our overall happiness and well-being
- Are we wired to give? Why is showing compassion considered evolutionarily beneficial?
- Why do non-profit organizations reject some donations but not others?
- Simple ways to make giving a part of our everyday mindset – for example, by helping someone carry their groceries or paying for someone else’s coffee.
- How to find and support companies whose products and services help worthy causes
- Stories of how individuals and companies have found joy and meaning in their giving
Whether you are a stay-at-home mom, a budding blogger, or an entrepreneur, Iacovelli presents specific, timely, and successful giving models for inspiration, including supportive action steps, to get readers started on the giving journey.