Black Friday is the unofficial start of the holiday shopping season. I have no desire to go shopping today. Instead, I will be spending it with my family and celebrating my youngest son’s birthday. I’ll wait until I’m back in Brunswick to shop locally for presents.
I tried to take part in Black Friday last year for the first time. My husband and I decided we’d hit Toys R’ Us by my mom’s house in Massachusetts at the crack of dawn. We promptly went back to my mom’s house after seeing the line of people stretching around the entire strip of big box stores. I’d rather pay the extra money than stand in line. I’m very impatient.
On the blog, it’s Philanthropy Friday. So, in honor of the day, here are 5 ways you can give back on this Black Friday.
- Take advantage of the great deals you find on Black Friday and then donate your finds to a local charity
- Skip Black Friday all together and opt for Small Business Saturday in support of your local community instead
- Shop online at a place like BiddingforGood.com, where you can bid on just about anything and all proceeds support non-profits and schools
- Skip the shopping and volunteer at a local soup kitchen
- Talk with your friends and family about donating to a cause you care about instead of exchanging gifts this Christmas
Sounds a lot more fun and fulfilling than fighting crowds.
How are you incorporating philanthropy into your life this holiday season?
Each Friday, the another jennifer blog shares stories of those who incorporate philanthropy into their everyday lives – personally and professionally – in a creative and unique way. If you have a story you’d like to share, please email Jennifer.
Photo Credit: RUSTIC FOLKSY CHRISTMAS GIFTS CLIP ART © Madartists | Dreamstime.com