Warning: json_encode() expects exactly 1 parameter, 2 given in /home/ajenn/public_html/wp-content/plugins/video-embed-thumbnail-generator/video-embed-thumbnail-generator.php on line 809
Our town is the home of a former naval air station, so the presence of military planes is not something foreign to us.
I didn’t see the protestors this year – since we were sneaky and used the back entrance to avoid traffic – but they were out there. From my understanding, they believe that the show glorifies war. I don’t believe it does. And for the two years that I’ve attended the show on the former base, the show has honored those that have served. I think it’s the least we can do in a (former) military town.
Anyway, I’m not a fan / supporter of war. Or any violence, for that matter. I am, however, a fan of air shows.
In case you were wondering, here are 6 reasons I enjoy the air show:
- Planes doing tricks. That’s fun to watch no matter how old you are. The mere sound of the planes going over my house makes me drop everything, run outside and look up.
- Watching everyone in my town trying to walk or drive when the planes are practicing for the show. Not one person is looking where they need to be. It’s entertaining and a bit dangerous.
- Cute pilots. Need I say more?
- Watching my kids eyes light up when they see said planes and pilots up close.
- Watching my father-in-law’s eyes light up when he gets to proudly point out to his grandchildren that their great grandfather flew a plane just like that over Germany during WWII.
- The exhilaration of an F-16 fighter jet buzzing over your head when you don’t expect it. It’s loud. It’s scary. It’s awesome.
- It’s a fun, family event. My husband’s parents have come up from Tennessee the past two years to attend the air show with us. We have fun. It’s a good show. Period.
Stuff like this amazes me:
Oh, and no one was recruited into the military during the show.
Have you attended an air show? What did you think?