OK, so I’m breaking my rule of not talking about holiday shopping until after Thanksgiving. I’m making an exception because this benefits my local community of Brunswick, Maine.
And I’m a big fan of buying local.
The Brunswick Downtown Early Bird Sale will be happening this Saturday, November 19th. Starting at 6:00 am, a host of family-friendly activities will be going on throughout the day in Downtown Brunswick including:
- Rolling Slumber Bed Races on Park Row 11 am (Did someone say bed races?)
- WCLZ broadcasting LIVE at the Tontine Mall
- Cooking demonstrations at Inn at Brunswick Station at 8 am (registration required, email Rebecca@oxfordmanagementco.com)
- Wine Tasting at Trattoria Athena Restaurant at 12 pm (registration required, email Rebecca@brunswickdowntown.org)
- FREE flu shot clinic hosted by CHANS at the Tontine Mall 7-11 am
- Children’s story time at the Brunswick Inn at 10 am
- Cookies and cocoa provided by non-profits throughout Downtown
- Children’s create a book activity and coloring contest
- Craft fair and gift-wrapping services at the Visitor Center at Brunswick Station
- and a whole lot more!
[To register for the Rolling Slumber Bed Race or FMI on event details and store sales/discounts, visit www.brunswickdowntown.com or call 207-729-4439]
Now, what I like most about this event is that it doesn’t mention Christmas shopping at all. Actually, the promotional materials depict turkeys. Plus, Brunswick has yet to put up any Christmas decorations. So, you could argue, that they are “respecting the bird” and simply encouraging people to support local businesses in Brunswick, Maine.
I know I’ll be there.