I made an impulse buy at the grocery store one day. I thought I was buying glow in the dark star stickers for my boys’ rooms. Turns out, the stars were actually plastic and needed to be attached to the ceiling via adhesive strips. Not wanting to destroy the ceiling, and not believing that the plastic stars would actually stay stuck to said ceiling, I came up with this mobile project. I thought I’d share what I did.
What you need: Glow-in-the-dark foam star and moon stickers, Niteglo Stars, fishing line, wire hanger, wire cutters, one piece of string, drill with a very small drill bit
How to build it:
- Cut the wire hanger into three strips, keeping one a bit larger than the other two. I used a white wire hanger. You can always paint the hanger if you want to add color.
- Using the string, tie knots around each wire every few inches. Leave enough string at the top for hanging. You can make the mobile as long or as short as you like. Adjust the balance of the mobile by bending the wire as needed.
- Drill small holes into each glow in the dark star and moon.
- String the fishing line through the hole you drilled into the stars and attach the stars, at varying lengths, to each piece of wire.
- To help keep the fishing line in place, take two of the same foam stickers, attaching one on each side of the knot. This hides the knot and sticks the fishing line in place.
Voila! You now have a very cool glow in the dark stars mobile. My son loves his. And I love that my ceiling isn’t going to get ruined.